Mataking Island – a Tropical Island Escape Located Near Sipadan, Borneo
For visitors to Sabah, Borneo, looking for a beautiful island Resort to chill out at during their holiday, or if you want to snorkel or dive at Pulau Sipadan, we have the ideal choice for you – Mataking Island Resort. Pulau Mataking Island is located on the East Coast of Sabah and is reached via a 40-minute boat transfer from Semporna. Pulau Mataking Island is home to just one Resort and is fringed by white sand beaches and turquoise waters. With a maximum of 100 guests staying at Mataking Island Resort, you will feel like you have a bit of this island paradise to yourself.
Mataking Island is a great choice for snorkelers and divers alike. A short walk into the sea in front of the Resort’s Dive Centre, you will find the house reef, which offers a gently sloping coral reef home to many colourful tropical fish species and interesting macro life and is ideal for snorkelers and divers. On the eastward face (back) of Mataking island is the Alice Channel, which is about 100 meters deep and connects Mataking Island to Sipadan Island. Here divers can go diving along with a drop-off and dive numerous different sites via the daily boat dives offered at Mataking Island Resort. For divers who like wreck diving, the Resort offers a sunken 40-foot wooden cargo ship as a dive site located further along from their house reef. You’ll also often come across large Turtles resting on the reef or sandy bottom as you go diving around the island the Turtles stop at Mataking Island for a ‘rest’ before continuing to Sipadan to mate. Cool!
Day trips are offered to Sipadan for both snorkelers and divers from the Resort. Sipadan is just an 80-minute boat transfer from Mataking Island, but the journey is worth it as you’ll be blown away by the underwater beauty of this world-famous location. We can help pre-book places for you on a Sipadan day trip as part of your booking at Mataking Island Resort booking (subject to availability of permits, surcharge applicable).
Mataking Island Resort – an ideal choice for Snorkelers and Divers in Sabah, Borneo
Mataking Island Resort offers a piece of luxury at an affordable price. We offer a choice of accommodation from a Deluxe Room to Chalets for both Divers and Non-Divers. We recommend you stay for a minimum of a 4-day (3-night) stay at Mataking Island Resort, or longer, to get the most from your stay on this beautiful island. The Deluxe Rooms come with aircon, coffee-tea-making facilities, an ensuite shower room, a private sun deck and many more facilities. The King Chalets are larger, have a sea view location and the added extra of a balcony with views out over the sea.
Mataking Island Resort offers a range of facilities, including a restaurant (where all meals are served buffet style), the Gekko bar, a PADI Dive Centre and the Jamu Spa, which offers a range of tempting spa treatments. The Resort also offers a wide range of activities to help you get the most from your time on Mataking Island – a full activity program is available at the Resort. The Resort is also home to a Turtle Hatchery as part of marine conservation efforts on Mataking Island.
If you don’t want to travel to Semporna during your holiday but still want to stay at a beautiful island Resort, then you should also check out the packages we offer at Lankayan Island Resort (accessible from Sandakan).
Package Inclusions – Mataking Island Resort Package
- Airport Meeting service, return transfers from Tawau Airport to Mataking Dive Resort (by road and boat).
- Full board meals.
- Free flow of coffee, tea and light snacks.
- Twin / double sharing at Mataking Island Resort (with air-conditioning, fresh hot water shower and attached bathroom with private sun deck/balcony).
- Complimentary use of Outdoor Jacuzzi.
- Diver Packages include three daily boat dives at different dive sites such as Mataking / Pandanan / Bohayan / Kelapuan / Timba-timba / Pom Pom with an experienced dive guide provided & unlimited shore buddy dives (house reef) without a guide. Tanks, weights and weight belt is provided.
- Snorkelling package included unlimited house reef snorkelling (7:30 am – 5:00 pm).
- 0% Sales & Service Tax on the tour price as applicable from 6th May 2019.
- Flights, personal insurance and personal spending.
- Single supplement (30% surcharge on package price, joining existing scheduled transfers).
- Gear rental (gear can be rented from the PADI Dive Centre at a surcharge).
- Sipadan day trip and Sipadan Permit. The Sipadan permit is RM100.00 per day for snorkellers and RM450 per day for divers. You need to be a minimum of a PADI Advanced Open Water Diver or the equivalent to dive at Sipadan.
- Tourism Tax. The Tourism Tax is currently set at a flat rate of RM 10 per room per night and will be charged to Foreign tourists.
Notes – Mataking Island Resort
The room prices shown are per person and based upon twin/triple sharing one room.
Mataking Island Resort requires Divers to have 24 hours of the surface interval before they fly.
The Mataking Island Resort package prices are valid until 31st December 2023.
What are you waiting for? Book your Dive Sipadan – Mataking Island Resort package with Borneo Dream.