Mount Kinabalu Climb Package via Timpohan Gate (3 Day)
The 3D2N Mount Kinabalu Climb Package via Timpohan Gate tour is a perfect choice for first-timers who wish to enjoy the trip without overtiring themselves. An extra night’s stay is an ideal way to acclimatise and recuperate before the big climb. Join us and convert your monotonous holiday trip to a memorable one by taking it to a whole new level.
Mount Kinabalu Climb Via Timpohon is a traditional route chosen by most climbers. During this 3D2N mount Kinabalu climb trip you will stay overnight the first night in a Lodge in Kinabalu Park Headquarters. On the second night, you will stay in an unheated dorm in Panar Laban Hut. On day 2 wake up early to trek to the summit, Low’s Peak. At the summit – Low’s Peak – you will have breathtaking views across the Crocker Mountain Range. Make your holiday to Sabah, Borneo a truly memorable one and Mount Kinabalu Climb!
If you are looking for an alternative, less crowded, mountain to climb during your holiday in Sabah, Borneo. Then checks out our trekking options for climbing Mount Trusmadi.
What a way to start your morning.
Trip Itinerary – 3D2N Mount Kinabalu Climb Package via Timpohan Gate
The outline itinerary below is based upon booking the optional return transfers from Kota Kinabalu with the 3D2N Mount Kinabalu Climb Package via the Timpohon Gate package.
You will be collected from your hotel in central Kota Kinabalu and transferred by minibus to Kinabalu National Park. The journey will take approximately 2 hours as you drive north from Kota Kinabalu before travelling over the Crocker Range mountain range.
Upon arrival at Kinabalu Park Headquarters, you will pre-check in at Kinabalu Park’s office to register for your climb starting the next day. You’ll then be transferred to Kinabalu Park Lodge and check-in to your accommodation. You are then free for the rest of the day. You may visit the Botanical Garden (small entrance fee) or just relax at the lodge.
Dinner and overnight at the lodge.
Are you ready for your Mount Kinabalu Climb with Borneo Dream?
Wake up for breakfast. After breakfast, check out from your accommodation and collect your packed lunch at the counter. Gather at Sabah Park’s Office to meet up with your mountain guide. The real adventure begins as you are transferred to Timpohon Gate by coach for the start of your 2-day climb of Mount Kinabalu. At Timpohan Gate you will be briefed by your Mountain Guide and start your climb to Laban Rata Resthouse. Depending on individual fitness level, the trekking takes between 5 – 8 hours. On arrival at Laban Rata Resthouse, you’ll check in and have a chance to relax before dinner. After dinner, it’s time for an early night ahead of summiting Mount Kinabalu early the next morning. The rest of today follows the same itinerary as day 1 of the 2D1N Mount Kinabalu Climb Package via Timpohan Gate.
Overnight at Laban Rata Hut for the early morning ascent.
Today follows the same itinerary as day 2 of the 2D1N Mount Kinabalu Climb Package via Timpohan Gate.
It’s an early start today! At around 01:00hrs you will wake up and have supper before continuing your ascent towards Low’s Peak summit. Take your headlight/torch as it will be dark during your ascent. The climb to Low’s Peak Summit takes about three hours and you will be well rewarded with breath-taking views of the sunrise along the horizon over the Crocker Mountain Range (weather permitting). You’ll descend to Laban Rata Resthouse for breakfast. After breakfast, you’ll check out and start your descent to Timpohan Gate (check out the latest by 10:00 am).
The trek to Timpohan Gate takes 4 – 5 hours. You’ll arrive back at Timpohan Gate around 2 – 3:00 pm. You will return to the Park Headquarters to collect your certificate. Enjoy a nice lunch at Liwagu restaurant within Kinabalu Park National Park.
At 4:00 pm, you will depart for Kota Kinabalu city/hotel.
Ready to begin your climbing adventure?
Trip Pre-requisites for Mount Kinabalu Climb via Timpohan Gate
- You need to be between 10 years – 70 years old and > 1.3m to participate in Climbing Mount Kinabalu.
- All of the Mount Kinabalu trips are physically demanding – it is recommended you see your doctor before you come on holiday to check you are healthy to complete the Mount Kinabalu Climb.
- It is recommended that all climbers should have themselves medically checked before attempting any mountain climb. If you have a history of suffering from the following ailments, it is highly recommended that you should refrain from climbing: Hypertension, Diabetes, Palpitation, Arthritis, Heart Disease, Severe Anaemia, Peptic Ulcers, Epileptic Fits, Obesity (Overweight), Chronic Asthma, Muscular Cramps, Hepatitis (Jaundice); or any other disease which may hamper the climber.
All tours are subject to weather conditions and may be amended without notice for safety reasons.
- Accommodation: 1 Night accommodation at Kinabalu Park Lodge and 1-night basic accommodation at Laban Rata’s mountain huts or similar dormitory (sleep in a shared, unheated dormitory). Blanket, Bed, Bed Sheet and Pillow are provided.
- At Laban Rata, coffee & tea will only be provided complimentary during Breakfast & Supper.
- Dedicated Licensed Mountain Guide per booking e.g. if 2 people book a trip together with Borneo Dream you have a Mountain Guide looking after just the two of you during your trek up and down Mount Kinabalu.
- There will be a maximum of five Climbers per Mountain Guide.
- Sabah Parks ‘I made it!’ Certificate
- 1 Dinner at Sutera Sanctuary Lodge
- 1 Night at Sutera Sanctuary Lodges
- 1 Breakfast at Sutera Sanctuary Lodges
- 1 Packed lunch for your climb from Timpohon Gate
- 1 Night at Pendant Hut
- 1 Buffet dinner at Laban Rata
- 1 Early morning continental breakfast/supper at Pendant Hut
- 1 Late morning American Breakfast at Pendant Hut
- 1 Lunch at Liwagu Restaurant in Kinabalu Park
- Sabah Parks Entrance Fee
- Sabah Parks Climbing Insurance
- Sabah Parks Climbing Permit
- Sabah Parks Private/Dedicated Climbing Guide Fees
- Return transfer from Kota Kinabalu to Kinabalu Park
- Licensed guide on the minibus to assist you during the first and last part of your tour
- Return transfers from Kinabalu Park HQ to Timpohon Gate
- Meals: Breakfast and lunch on the 1st day of your tour. Dinner on the 3rd day.
- Any children < 16 years old climbing Mount Kinabalu will require an extra Mountain Guide – Contact us for details and cost.
- Porter service for carrying your rucksack – Advance booking recommended. Contact us for details and costs.
- Personal spend.
- Drinks and meals not specified. Laban Rata Resthouse does NOT provide boiled water for drinking/refill to climbers. Mineral water and other drinks are available for purchase at the Grocery Counter.
- Personal Travel Insurance
Recommended Packing List For The Trip
- First on the list: An adventurous spirit!
- Clothes: Waterproof and windproof jacket, warm clothing like a fleece jacket, hiking pants, change of clothes for sleeping. Warm clothing is important as the temperature near the summit can be cold.
Protective Gear: Cap/beanie/headscarf (to keep warm at night and in the early morning), waterproof gloves with a good grip, sunglasses, sunblock and SPF lip balm, rain cover for your backpack, comfortable covered trail/hiking shoes, a whistle. To be comfortable, and safe, during our climb Mount Kinabalu activity you are recommended to wear hiking shoes (with a good grip) such as the following:- Hiking Boots, Walking Shoes, Trekking Shoes, Sneakers / Running shoes with laces.
- Useful & Practical Extras: small/lightweight towel, personal toiletries, refillable water bottle, torchlight (preferably a head torch), camera, energy snacks such as chocolate, nuts, biscuits, sweets or energy bars, a small backpack to contain your things.
Notes for Climbing Mount Kinabalu
The trip prices are valid for trips up to 31st December 2022. For trips after this date contact us for a quote. There is a maximum of 102 climb permits issued per day by Sabah Parks for climbing Mount Kinabalu for International visitors. This means there is very limited capacity for climbing Mount Kinabalu and trips quickly get fully booked. Being in good health and good fitness for climbing Mount Kinabalu is very important for this 3-day trek. There will be no health checks conducted by any authorities during your climb registration, so you climb at your own risk. All tours are subject to weather conditions and may be amended without notice for safety reasons.